Thursday, February 9, 2012

We Are The Ocean

http://wearetheocean.co.uk/

It always blows my mind how a band can be so popular in one place and then not known in another. Now, I will admit that this time around I was a part of the "not knowing" category, but I have rectified the situation as it is a TERRIBLE category to be in.

You see, I got to catch We Are The Ocean on tour with You Me At Six, The Swellers and Twin Atlantic earlier this week and if we're being quite honest, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. Aside from knowing that they were British, I knew nothing of them. They definitely blew my mind though when they played. They were SO energetic even though the crowd was not. (Not only was it a really small crowd, we didn't know them.) One of their vocalists, Dan Brown, would come into the crowd and sing and rock the fuck out. It was actually in the moment that he came down from the stage and into the crowd that I decided these guys were gonna be HUGE. So of course, after the show I bought their album from them and talked with their guitarists Liam Cromby (who is also the second vocalist) and Alfie Scully and let me tell you they are some pretty cool dudes. I'm sad I missed meeting the others because I can only imagine that they're just as cool. (For real though. They are just so nice. I can't emphasize that enough.)

Anyway, I researched them the next day, and was really surprised to find that they weren't as little known as I had assumed they were. They actually have the second highest amount of Facebook likes of the four on the tour, which made me feel even worse about having just now discovered them.

I think what I love most is the contrast in Dan and Liam's voices. Liam's is like silk. It's fine and soothing and pulls you in and then Dan comes in and vocally punches you in the face. And what's weirdest of all is that on paper they shouldn't be able to blend so wonderfully together. But honestly, their voices come together to create one of the most unique sounds I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Now, what I have deduced from having their album on repeat since purchasing it two days ago, is that these guys offer something that we just don't grow in the US. In fact, I can't think of any band from the US that I could possibly compare them to. They remind me of Fightstar, but I mean, Fightstar wasn't from America either. So, I think what I'm trying to tell you is that these boys know rock.

There are people out there who will say that they are "rock" and maybe they're a category of rock, but WATO is the real deal.

So if you like your drums hard hitting (Thank you Tom Whittaker!), your bass causing your chest cavity to vibrate (Thanks Jack Spence!), your guitars ripping up the air (Here's lookin at you Alfie and Liam!) and your vocals dirty and gritty (Get it Dan!) than you have found the band for you.

I can promise you that checking them out will only lead to one of the best musical experiences you could have.

Go Download: Their latest album, "Go Now And Live," from iTunes!!! (However, I would suggest seeing them in concert so you can buy the physical copy because it comes with a download card to get 10 acoustic tracks. And between you and me, their acoustic stuff is just as mindblowing as the full band stuff.)



No comments:

Post a Comment